Do you livefurther away than where public transit is readily available such as Western MA, Plymouth/Cape Cod, and Southern New Hampshire? If so, then you may find vanpooling to be an excellent option for commuting into work!
What is a vanpool?
A vanpool is 7-15 people who commute together via a small passenger van. Typically one person is the main driver and in exchange for driving, does not have to pay the monthly fare. Vanpools normally meet in a park and ride lot and may have a few stops along the way into the city.
How much is it to join a vanpool?
It depends on the number of people in your vanpool since you pool the expenses but typically it ranges from $200-350/month.
What are the benefits of joining a vanpool?
- Vanpooling qualifies for the pre-tax commuter benefit
- Share the costs of driving with everyone in the vanpool and save up to $5000 year!
- Receive a free ride home in the event of unscheduled overtime or other personal emergency through A Better City TMA’s Guaranteed Ride Home program
- Use the time you would normally be driving to sleep, read, catch up on work.
- Vanpool parking is normally provided free of charge so that’s one less hassle/expense to worry about
- Sign up for A Better City TMA’s vanpool subsidy program and receive an additional discount of $220 for 6 months!
- Find out more about vanpooling (PDF)
How will I know if vanpooling is for me?
Most vanpools let you try them out for a day or a week without commitment so try it out and see for yourself!
Where can I see if there is a vanpool in my area?
Check out vRide for a list of current vanpools and to form your own